Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Worst Day for a Shoe Addict

I'll be the first to admit it, I have a "thing" for shoes.

Sometimes, there's nothing better than opening a crsip, new box to find a pristine pair of patent platforms grinning back at you. The first time you slip on those form-fitting beauties is intoxicating - it's as though this is the first shoe your foot's ever felt! You're immediately high on life, and promptly begin running through your mind all the outfits you'll wear with your new friends.  

If you know how wonderful the "new shoe" feeling is, then you'll be with me when I talk about the saddest day in a shoe addict's life - the day you lay a pair to rest. 

We all know shoes don't last forever! From the first day you slip on a new pair, their days are numbered. Your only hope is that you can get in all the wears you can before that day comes. I recently had a day when I not only had to lay one pair to rest, but THREE additional pairs. Not just any pairs at that, some of my most dependable shoes!

As I tearfully laid my reliable black pumps and grey suede booties into their final resting place, I realized the fate of my other two damaged pairs may not be the same. In one hand I had my leopard Guess pumps, in the other I held my fuchsia flower sandals and I thought how much I really didn't want to let either of them go. Then I had the perfect solution - I'll take them to the shoe repair store!

At the time, I didn't care what repairing them would cost, I just knew I wasn't ready to let them go. So I took both pairs to my nearest shoe doctor, and waited patiently for 2 days to pick them up. After a heel repair and double sole replacement they were looking new again! I was thrilled to be able to take them back to their home, that was until the nice shoe doctor asked for payment.

I reluctantly forked over the $50 he asked for while thinking I really should've made a pro/con list before I decided to bring these shoes back from the dead. After I got over the sticker shock of having my shoes fixed, I realized this is a learning lesson.

If I hadn't gotten these repaired, I would've ended up buying 4 new pairs of shoes to replace the holes in my closet, which would cost far beyond $50. Even by spending $50 to keep these two alive, I still saved myself an additional $50+ by not immediately buying new shoes. As an added bonus, I get to hang on to some of my most beloved shoes just a little longer.

All in all, when faced with the sad instance of having to make the decision to pull the plug on your favorite kicks, give them one more look - they might surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment