Sunday, August 14, 2011

Let's Start with the Basics

I think everyone here knows that there are basic elements that should be present in your wardrobe. Here, I'd like to pay homage to the crisp, white button-down shirt.

Nothing can make you look more chic in less time than the white button-down shirt. You can pair it with jeans and a nice pair of flats for a casual look. By day, you can dress it up with a black pencil skirt, a fun belt, and some black heels.


Because you'll get so much wear out of a quality white shirt, this should be an investment item. I know you budget girls might be screaming at me right now, but just hear me out.


I purchased my first professional button-down about 4 years ago from
Express. I have gotten so much wear out of that shirt, and it still looks great! In the winter, I roll the sleeves down and pair it with a cardigan for a layered look. In the summer, I roll those sleeves up for a casual work outfit. I've only had it dry-cleaned once, because food and I just didn't get along one day. So the $40 I paid for the shirt, plus the one time $10 dry-cleaning, that shirt costs me about $3 per wear. It's not bad considering how long it has lasted and how many compliments I get every time I wear it.
If you don't have this essential yet, or you're thinking about replacing the tired one you have--I recommend going to
Express! You're dropping a few pennies on it, but it will last for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment